Friday 3 November 2017

#87 - St. Desiderius of Vienne – A Generous Martyrdom Releases the Soul from Purgatory – Expect to Suffer - The Cross is a Source of Spiritual Treasure


St. Desiderius of Vienne – A Generous Martyrdom Releases the Soul from Purgatory – Expect to Suffer - The Cross is a Source of Spiritual Treasure





Ecstasy date October 15, 1878



I am a saint Didier, (i.e. Desiderius) Bishop and Martyr of Vienne. I come to tell you a word on behalf of Our Lord.

I was martyred in defence of the Faith, defending the Holy Church and the honour of the Fathers of the Church. I was put to torture for the cause, so to speak in the prime of my ministry. I suffered greatly. But my courage did not betray me because by it was the glory or the loss of my soul. (i.e. he did not lose courage because this was a life and death matter of eternal glory or damnation. Despite the prospect of great suffering, the choice was really no choice at all when the assurance of eternal salvation is at hand.)


When I was condemned, my persecutors gave me a cross on the forehead, tearing my flesh with a sharp knife. After this initial pain, I was put to the torture and three times they put at my feet my episcopal cross so that I would deny my God and my faith. Immediately, I raised my eyes toward heaven, spread out my arms to my God. I told Him publicly, from the depths of my soul: "I am ready to have my body pass under the press and to be milled to Your glory!" This invocation ended up throwing rage into the hearts of my tormentors. There, I was crucified on a kind of iron plate. I was bound, chained and tortured and my body was torn to shreds with fury and rage. My martyrdom was so sweet that I had but one regret, that I would die only once for One I loved so much! Then my head was, for a few days, hung from a tree which was not far from my place of martyrdom and a few souls in the darkness, retrieved my head with respect and closed my eyes, that had adored my Saviour, descending on the Altar, in my dedicated hands. My body remained unburied for some time because the Christians were stoned as soon as they noticed (them perform) a work of charity. It was when the fury died down a little, a few souls collected the scattered remnants of my body and carried them in a shroud. I was finally laid to rest in Christian ground. That is a word about my martyrdom.


Dear brothers, if you could conceive the joy of my soul ascending to my God! Martyrdom frees the soul from Purgatory when it suffers generously.


Now a word on behalf of the Heavenly Bridegroom.


Dear Brothers in the same grace at the foot of the Holy Altar, we have enemies everywhere who work for the glory of our precious progress. (The saint is ironically pointing out that while evil enemies persecute God's people, these enemies are preparing for them more glory!) Rejoice, you who are on the stormy sea when the storm is brewing for a long time! Be brave to the end, because the Good Lord will decide the happiness of His children and also the terrible justice to the thankless souls who forget their benefits. Remember, dear brothers and sisters need to be milled (ground down) on earth as the dead to be resurrected in the pure glory of the earth which is a preparation for eternal glory. Allow yourself to be stoned, torn, insulted for the love of the Great King. Your reward will be beyond your expectations. We must thank, on your knees and the heart, your dear enemies for all the good they procure you, of all the honour that they give you on earth. (i.e. the glory they prepare for you in Heaven when they make you suffer while on the earth.) It is by this means they dig in the heart, a river of love that overflows from all sides. By this means we heal the wounds of the Bridegroom of Calvary.

Persecution existed at all times, but this epoch will be a passage and a remarkable flower for all to see who will be protected by the Bridegroom of Calvary …


Expect to suffer. This will be the beginning of your crowns and a beautiful preparation to receive your triumphant palm. For every soul on earth is a martyr. But love is so strong and so noble in your souls that all this suffering is a fertile seed that will enrich the Treasury of the Church. Oh sweet pain, if you were well known, how your fertility is rich in this world that is nothing but a road of pain! You who are on the Cross, dear brothers and sisters, this cross is not wood, it is precious stones and pearls of love, it is composed of diamonds of heaven, because you have the love of Holy of Holies that fills you with His intoxicating favours.


Courage, hungry soul longing for the Adorable Spouse, a prisoner on the altar! That hunger will be satisfied. God is preparing to collect His harvest. That is why He gives so much pain, tears and sacrifice. The road of Heaven opens. Lift up your eyes to His paternal love for it must be that the suffering flowers are picked from the ground when the Justice of His wrath will break out. That is why the Good Saviour gives so much faith and hope ...”


Marie-Julie: “It is true that the sea is troubled, threats, contempt and persecutions, nothing tarnishes our peace, nothing weakens our Hope.”


St. Desiderius: “This grace is the announcement of a happier one to come, but no longer on earth. It is entirely in the bliss of heaven. Dear Brothers of the Cross, you are stung by the thorns, they are stained with your blood. What mark of charity you give to God on this earth, suffering and praying for your dear enemies! This is the real,the invaluable portion all the brothers and sisters who have suffered and rest in peace! I will retire, by inviting you, dear brothers get close to the great river of love and strength. This river is hidden in the Cross. Approach this Holy Cross that will open the vast treasures of Happiness. This is the River where every soul will find the strength and the love to love …


Fear not! God knows what to do with you. Accept without seeing, without knowing the size and depth of what God gives you. (I.e. as in crosses). Fear not, for the good which you wait for is so great that persecution is a joy and a pleasure. I leave you at the foot of the Cross, this is where you find the strength in the days of bitterness. The Lord will soon water the evil ones with bitterness. Pray for the Church. The storm and the storm roaring around her, but the waves are powerless, because the Lord guards and protects. Carry your cross, dear brothers and sisters, it is the most beautiful portion (I.e, as in inheritance) ...”

:::::::

Notes: Saint Didier (also known under the name of Desiderius), was a native of Autun, educated at Vienne, where he became archdeacon and then bishop. He was persecuted by the Queen of the Visigoths, Brunhild, who was instrumental in securing his murder at the place now called Saint-Didier-sur-Chalaronne. He was martyred in the year 608. The Visigoth Kings were Arians, and did not believe in the divinity of Christ. Hence their persecution against Roman Catholics. (Feast days, Feb. 11 and May 23.)

::::::

Go To: