Friday 21 August 2020

#196 Accounts of Marie-Julie Jahenny and the Assaults of the Devil




Physical attacks from the devil are not uncommon in the life of a mystic, especially in the case of a victim soul, and Marie Julie Jahenny was no exception. God often sends sufferings in the form of outward demonic attacks so they may suffer more for sinners and also gain more merits. Here are a few accounts of how he tried to trick or attack her, and she recognised and dealt with him.




:::::::::::


(Commentary by the “Friends of Marie-Julie Association” Website)

To avoid the illusions and tricks of the devil who appeared at times to Marie-Julie in the most varied and hypocritical forms, she asked from time to time during the ecstasy, (for) holy water with which she signed (i.e., made the sign of the cross) and before speaking, she invoked the lights (enlightenment) of the Holy Spirit. If there came to her a Saint she did not yet know, she required (them to make) an act of love for the Sacred Heart of Jesus, if it is the devil, he immediately tookflight. The devil is easily recognized by her then.

If he appears with a cross, it is twisted (i.e there is something wrong with the cross), he has a halo, it is missing its rays. (i.e if the devil tries to appear with a halo, it is not perfect and missing the glorious rays).

The devil bothered Marie-Julie in many ways; he also beat her, leaving traces of his blows.

It even happened at the Holy Table (i.e. at Mass) (leaving her unable) to unclench (her) teeth, (to receive Communion), but Father David, knowing what that meant, brought the Sacred Host close to her mouth and in the presence of the Body of the Divine Saviour, Satan had to let Marie-Julie go so she could receive Communion, despite the efforts of hell.

::::::::::::::


A small dialogue with the devil recounted by Marie-Julie:

I have sent Quéquet* packing and I said to him:

You beautify yourself to come and see me and to deceive me; you are only a mask and a mass
of sins. All the dirt that is hidden below passes above in spite of you. (i.e., he can not keep his
real traits hidden from her.) You think you have a beautiful white covering, but it is all black and
unclean, and I recognize you anywhere.”

(* Difficult to understand, 'Quequet' apparently this is a derogatory nickname she gave
the devil?)


He said:

If I take this beautiful façonnerie of lace, I will seduce you.” (i.e., if I come dressed in this
finery, I will seduce you. Apparently, he tried to appear as a handsome gallant man of fashion.)

Marie-Julie: “You are too ugly, come no more on the Earth.”

The devil: “I am obliged as the greatest part calls me.” (i.e., he is obliged to come to earth as so many souls call him to earth with their sins, and worst yet, with their Satanic worship?)

Marie-Julie: “Well! Me, I curse you. Your voice does not make me very afraid.”

Oh! I am very thirsty,” he said.

Marie-Julie: “Come on, big black dog, I will give you something to drink (it was holy
water).”

He shouted, running away:

It burns me!”


::::::::::::::::::::


It is the Mark of Martyrdom – The Devil's Attacks in the last year of her life


"The demon has left me (well) quiet now," she said one day, at the end of her life. He returned,however, especially after February 2, 1940 when Marie-Julie offered herself once again to remain(on earth) for sinners.  She was saving souls! She would never die, this little woman who tore away his prey! And so the evil spirit would try to make a final assault – strange noises are heard first in the cottage.

"Do not be afraid, my little sister," Marie-Julie says to her guardian (i.e the person watching over her), “he will do you no harm!"

It is night, Satan is there in the cell (i.e her room), close to the one he would like to destroy. He can not touch her! But he fixed his hellish eyes on her. The guardian heard Marie-Julie moan and cry out in anguish "I can not support his gaze." Satan was gone.

Noticing one day on her dear face signs of injury:

"You fell, Marie-Julie?"

"Yes, I know not how, I reckon it is the devil who pushed me."

"The devil! In fact, I had just then taken the holy water at church this morning." (i.e. her helper just brought holy water from the church.)

"Oh! Put it in everywhere! Start here," and Marie-Julie showed me the cell. "It is God,” she then said, “who gave you this idea of holy water."

As I did so again referring to the scars of her recent fall on the left cheek:

"It is the mark of martyrdom," she said.

::::::::::::::::::